You’ve heard it all before: It’s that time of year when we start spending more time inside. The days get shorter, the leaves start falling and everyone begins to drift into hibernation mode. While we haven’t reach the stage of burrowing under heavy Afghan blankets while sipping scalding hot chocolate just yet, hiding out in a dark movie theater is starting to sound more appealing. Here are a few of the fall season’s most anticipated films and what to bring with you when you go check them out:
1. Elle: Director Paul Verhoeven, of Basic Instinct and Showgirls fame, delivers another psychological thriller and this one’s getting rave reviews. Isabelle Huppert stars as the CEO of a video game company determined to find out who raped her – and turn the tables on him.
2. American Honey: A teenage girl hops on board with a band of hard-partying, magazine-peddling misfits, including Riley Keough and Shia LaBeouf, and gets into trouble as she cruises across the Midwest.
3. London Town: Critics are saying Jonathan Rhys Meyers kills it as Joe Strummer in this coming-of-age flick about a Clash-obsessed punk kid who receives a “White Riot” tape in the mail from his estranged mother and goes looking for her.
4. American Pastoral: Ewan McGregor makes his unexpected directorial debut with an adaptation of one of Philip Roth’s most beloved novels, which focuses on successful New Jersey businessman (McGregor, obviously) whose daughter, played by Dakota Fanning, disappears after accusations she committed an act of violence.
5. Kushy Punch Super Potent Gummy Formula Sativa Edibles: Kushy Punch’s packaging may look like it’s for kids, but think of these magic candies as the grown-up alternative to Gummy Bears and Sour Patch Kids.
6. CLSC Floyd Water Bottle: Clanking around with a six-pack is so gauche. Keep the noise to a minimum and house your beverage (read: liquor) of choice in an extremely witty water bottle.
7. La Boite Spiced Popcorn: BYO…P? Be pretentious with your own gourmet popcorn. This stuff is handmade in small-batches. Choose between sweet (caramel and chocolate flavors) or savory (curry, pesto and pizza flavors).
8. Saint Laurent Green Camouflage City Backpack: A good-sized bag is necessary when smuggling snacks and booze into the theater. Everyone knows camouflage is especially incognito.
9. Richardson Tube Socks: Treat the movie theater like your living room, and curl up in a cushy pair of tube socks worthy of remaining visible in public.
10. Supreme x UNDERCOVER Reversible MA-1 Jacket: Snap this jacket up not just because bombers are going stronger than ever but because this one subtly says “fuck you.”
11. Reebok Instapump Fury Road HOF: Don’t miss the previews because you were wasting precious seconds tying your shoelaces. Simply slide in to Reebok’s high-tech design and “pump” them up to your liking.
12. Head Porter Python Band Card Case: Python-printed stuff can be totally Eurotrash-tacky, which is what makes it cool. This one is made of sporty nylon, so it’s particularly ironic.
13. Topshop Unique Fenton Shearling-Trimmed Wool-Blend Felt Bomber Jacket: You’ll want something cozy in the movie theater, and now is the time to invest in a shearling style, the elevated alternative to the classic leather jacket.
14. Serge Lutens Water Lip Color: A good lip stain means you don’t have to reapply before the lights go back on. This rich wine hue suits fall’s mood and actually feels hydrating on your lips, unlike most stains.
15. Alexander Wang Ribbed Beanie with Embroidered Girls Graphic: Evoke connotations of the old-school peep show with Wang’s wink-giving take on fall’s staple beanie.
16. Frye Alice Engineer Boots: The onset of October warrants a new pair of boots, and this classic engineer style is ideal for off-duty movie nights. They’ll also look better scuffed and slightly beaten up, which is always encouraging since it’s an inevitable fact.