If you’ve taken an art history class, you know that surrealism was a groundbreaking cultural and artistic movement that aestheticized all of the crazy shit that people dream about at night. You’ll know it’s made up of melting clocks, floating apples and other bizarre motifs that blew people’s minds in the 1920s and ’30s. Nearly a century later, the influence of surrealism is everywhere, and there has never been a better time to buy a trippy (yet chic) holiday gift for the cultural connoisseur in your life. Whether you need a lip-shaped sofa or a banana-shaped pipe, the internet is brimming with items that Salvador Dali would no doubt approve. So light a joint, get in touch with your subconscious mind, and let our surrealist gift guide do the rest…
1. Empire Rolling $100 Bill Rolling Papers A cheaper, more sustainable alternative to using actual money to roll your joints.
2. Undercover Eye Ring Minimal, sleek and undeniably creepy, Undercover’s eye ring is the perfect heirloom to haunt future generations of your family.
3. David Shrigley Curious Foot-Shaped Pedestal You may not need a foot-shaped pedestal that serves no real purpose but don’t you want one?
4. Palace Flat Stancey Longsleeve Is this a robot or a sheet mask from hell? We may never know the significance behind this disembodied face, but it’s giving me the best kind of nightmares.
5. Chen Peng Lovers Cuddle Scarf Insulate yourself from harrowing winter weather with this down-filled scarf from Chen Peng.
6. Flower by Edie Parker Glass Banana Pipe A cheery, banana-shaped pipe from Edie Parker’s new cannabis-focused diffusion brand.
7. Robert Williams Book The definitive tome about the lord of psychedelic kitsch.
8. Genenic Melting Clock Shelf Hanging Melted Quartz Clock Get high and contemplate the meaning of time while staring at this melting clock available from Amazon.
9. Seletti x Toiletpaper Mirror Seletti’s collaboration with the modern pop surrealist masters Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari (colloquially known as Toiletpaper) has yielded an expansive range of seriously bizarre home goods, including this conversation-starting mirror.
10. Jonathan Adler Druggist Weed Square Tray Use this quirky catchall for your pocket change, your car keys or that half-smoked joint that’s been sitting on your bedside table for the better part of a week.
11. KKW Body Perfume Say what you want about Kim Kardashian, the sculptural bottle for her KKW Body fragrance is a true work of art. The perfume isn’t half bad, either.
12. The Skateroom + René Magritte Printed Wooden Skateboard A modern tribute to the OG Daddy of Surrealism, René Magritte.
13. Undercover + Medicom Gilapple Light A sleek, jet-black version of Undercover’s iconic Gilapple light, which has gained a massive cult following since its inception in 2010.
14. Dada Assorted Truffle Box Chocolate lips and matcha latte eyes inhabit this chic truffle box from the surrealist snacking upstart Dada.